Chat with us, powered by LiveChat Funding and benefits | Agincare
Care enquiries 0800 0121 247 Careers 0800 2100 149 Mon - Fri 08:00 - 18:00

Search form

Delivering quality care for over 30 years

You are here

Funding and benefits

We understand you may have concerns or questions about the cost of live-in care and what funding and benefits options may be available to you. 

Do I qualify for funding?

You may qualify for some level of funding from your local authority or the NHS. State assistance for care is means-tested through a financial assessment by your local authority, taking into account the value of your property, savings and other assets (your capital).
If your assets, including your property, are less than the lower limit of £14,250 in England, then 100% of your care should be funded. However, you may be expected to make a contribution if you receive certain benefits or have any income.
If your assets are more than the upper limit of £23,250 in England, then you will normally be expected to pay for your own care in full.
There is a reducing scale of support between the lower and upper limits of £14,250 and £23,250 (in England). This is based on a person contributing £1 a week for every £250 in assets over £14,250. For example, someone with assets of £18,000 would be expected to contribute £15 a week (£3,750 ÷ £250 x £1 = £15) towards their care.

Assets included in the calculation

  • Bank and building society accounts
  • Stocks, shares and most investment products 
  • National savings and premium bonds 
  • Income from the Government and any personal or occupational pension plans
  • Property and land (less any mortgage)
Jointly held assets are usually divided in two to calculate an individual’s share, regardless or who contributed the most. 

Assets not included in the calculation

  • Property that continues to be lived in by yourself, a partner or dependant. Thus, for live-in care funding, the value of your property should be excluded because you will continue to live in it
  • Value of life policies
  • Some compensation payment held in trust or by the courts
  • Some investment bonds with a life assurance element (check with your provider) 

Direct payments (local authority funding)

After an assessment by the local authority and the creation of a care plan, you or someone you trust can be awarded control over the money the government would have used to provide your care. This money can then be used to select the right form of care for you.

NHS funding - continuing healthcare

Continuing healthcare funding is a whole package of ongoing care arranged and funded by the NHS for people outside of hospital with ongoing health needs. Individuals who are eligible for NHS CHC receive their care package, including social care, for free.
Even if you are paying for your own care, there may be some non means-tested benefits and allowances for which you are eligible, such as Disablity Living Allowance (DLA) and Personal Independence Payments (PIP).
If you have any questions about the cost of care or funding and benefits that may be available please contact us using one of the options below.


(Mon-Fri 8am-6pm)
Care Assessment
Book a free home visit
Brochure Download
For further information
Careers in Care Start Your Future Now

"It's wonderful to be an important part of someone's life and make a real difference".

Jess from Nottingham

Care Assessment