Live-in care funding and benefits

You may qualify for some level of care funding from your local authority or the NHS.

We understand that the cost of live-in care is often a major factor when choosing what option is best for you.

You may have concerns or questions about what care funding and benefits options may be available to you.

Do I qualify for live-in care funding and benefits?

You may qualify for some level of live-in care funding from your local authority or the NHS. State assistance for care is means-tested through a financial assessment by your local authority, taking into account the value of your property, savings and other assets (your capital).

If your assets, including your property, are less than the lower limit of £14,250 in England, then 100% of your care should be funded. However, you may be expected to make a contribution if you receive certain benefits or have any income.

If your assets are more than the upper limit of £23,250 in England, then you will normally be expected to pay for your own care in full.

For more information, please call us on 08081753395 or email us.

Assets included in the calculation

  • Bank and building society accounts
  • Stocks, shares and most investment products
  • National savings and premium bonds
  • Income from the Government and any personal or occupational pension plans
  • Property and land (less any mortgage)

Jointly held assets are usually divided in two to calculate an individual’s share, regardless of who contributed the most.

Assets not included in the calculation

  • Property that continues to be lived in by yourself, a partner or dependant. So for live-in care funding, the value of your property should be excluded because you will continue to live in it
  • Value of life policies
  • Some compensation payment held in trust or by the courts
  • Some investment bonds with a life assurance element (check with your provider)

Read the heart-warming story of Connie and her live-in carer Elena.

Local authority funding for live-in care – Direct Payments

Direct payments are a great way to give you flexibility, choice and control over your care.

Local authorities can arrange for people who need live-in care to receive funding so they can arrange their own care – either in their own home or in a residential care home.

The first step is to discuss with the social services department of your local authority what financial support you may be entitled to.

This will consist of an assessment of your care needs and financial situation.

Local authorities set their own eligibility criteria based on one of four care levels: low, moderate, substantial and critical. Every local authority makes their criteria available on request.

Based on an assessment of the person’s financial situation and the eligibility of their care needs, the local authority will decide who is to pay for the care whether it be the person themselves, the local authority, or a combination of both.

For more information, please call us on 08081753395 or email us.

NHS Continuing Healthcare Funding

Continuing Healthcare (CHC) funding is a whole package of ongoing care arranged and funded by the NHS for people outside of hospital with a high level of ongoing health needs.

Individuals who are eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare funding receive their care package, including social care, for free.

To be eligible, the person must be over 18 and have a complex medical condition and substantial and ongoing care needs.

It’s the Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) which decides the appropriate package of support for someone who is eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare.

Even if you are paying for your own care, there may be some non-means-tested benefits and allowances for which you are eligible, such as Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and Personal Independence Payments (PIP).

If you have any questions about care funding and the benefits that may be available, please contact us.

For more information, please call us on 08081753395 or email us.

Lifetime mortgages

You may also wish to consider a lifetime mortgage (equity release) where you continue to own your own home, but the lender gives you a lump sum or a monthly income (or both), based on the value of your home.

Home reversion plans

Another alternative means of care funding is a home reversion plan.

With a home reversion plan, you sell all or part of your home in return for a cash lump sum, a regular income, or a combination of both. When your home is eventually sold, the reversion company will receive their share of the proceeds from the sale. If you have sold the entire property to them, they will receive all proceeds.

For more information, please call us on 08081753395 or email us.