We have a wealth of experience in caring for people with different types of dementia.
The most common dementia types and their associated causes are:
In the UK Alzheimer’s disease is the most commons type of dementia. During the course of Alzheimer’s disease the chemistry and structure of the brain change, leading to the death of brain cells.
Short-term memory loss is usually the first noticeable sign. Alzheimer’s can also affect concentration, decision-making and everyday living skills.
Alzheimer’s symptoms tend to develop gradually over time. These may include:
- Difficulty remembering recent events while having a good memory for past events
- Poor concentration
- Issues recognising people or objects
- Poor organisation skills
- Slow, muddled or repetitive speech
- Reduced ability to perform everyday tasks such as cooking, paying bills and shopping
- Problems with decision making