Live-in care for younger adults with a physical disability

Our live-in care service for younger adults connects you with the best support worker for your life. Together we create a support plan that fits around you.

Our flexible full-time live-in service is a realistic and affordable alternative to other forms of support.

  • Round-the-clock care and support without the round-the-clock cost
  • Your own support worker/s supporting you in your chosen lifestyle
  • You don’t have the responsibilities (and risks) of being an employer – we fully manage and cover our live-in support service, including your support worker’s holidays
  • Support workers are carefully matched to your needs and preferences
  • Our support workers are DBS (police) checked
  • We fully train all our support workers
  • Our services are available on a long-term or short-term (respite care) basis

Call us on 01305443115 to talk to us about how our live-in support for young adults could help you or a family member.

Alison’s story (cerebral palsy)

Alison is 24 years old and has cerebral palsy. She recently moved into her own flat. A live-in support worker helps Alison maintain her independence and live life her way.

Alison’s support worker carries out all personal care, makes sure Alison eats a well-balanced diet and keeps the flat clean and tidy. She also supports all Alison’s daily activities, like socialising and managing her banking and shopping.

As Alison has 24-hour care needs, a second care worker visits Alison every day to help the live-in support worker transfer Alison safely to and from her wheelchair.

What does live-in support cover?

If what you need support with isn’t on this list, just ask – we can help you with anything, as long as it’s safe and legal!

  • Socialising, e.g. visiting friends
  • Support to take part in or go to sporting events
  • Help with studying or support in the workplace
  • Paperwork, e.g. letter writing or form filling
  • Personal care, e.g. getting up, going to the toilet, bathing, washing, dressing
  • Help with medication
  • Companionship – trips out, conversation
  • Household tasks, e.g. laundry, cooking, shopping, pet care

Simon’s story (spinal injury)

Simon is a 53-year-old man who suffered a spinal injury some years ago. He currently lives at home with his parents.

Simon is still very much in control of his life, both at home and socially, and has a job.

His live-in support worker helps him in his role as a Senior Inventory Controller for two hours every week on a Wednesday at a local business. Simon’s role involves stock control and data entry using a computer. Simon is unable to take notes while working so his support worker takes them.

As well as being supported at work, Simon needs help with personal care, transferring to and from his wheelchair, and cooking and domestic tasks. Simon’s support worker also goes out with him to his many social events.

What’s the live-in support assessment process?

  1. You call us on 01305443115 or fill in the online care assessment form, giving us some basic details
  2. We arrange a care assessment visit at a time and location that suits you, to talk to you about the service you want and need. You choose whether you’d like a family member, advocate, support worker or health professional to be with you when we visit you
  3. We agree the costs with you
  4. We agree your bespoke care and support plan and risk assessments with you – setting out what our care and support worker(s) will do to support you
  5. We use the plan to match your needs (and wherever possible, interests and preferences) to the most suitable care and support worker
  6. We introduce you to your care and support worker
  7. We keep in regular contact with both of you to make sure everything’s going well
  8. If your circumstances change, we’ll update your plan.

What do I need to provide in my home for a support worker?

Your support worker will live with you, so they’ll need:

  • Their own room to sleep in, with a bed, linen and somewhere to hang their clothes
  • Food (unless your care and support funder has agreed to include this). You’re not expected to provide for any of your support worker’s special dietary requirements

Graham’s story (spinal muscular atrophy)

Graham was born with spinal muscular atrophy. At the age of 20 he decided to come to study psychology at Brunel University, with support from his family and a care provider in the UK.

Graham was determined to make the most of life at university. He specifically requested a young live-in support worker to help with personal care, and getting in and out of his wheelchair.

Graham regularly went to the gym and the cinema, attended university social events and also enjoyed a drink in the local pub, all with the help of his live-in support worker. Graham successfully completed his degree and has returned home to Dubai.

Personal budgets

Personal budgets and direct payments are funding allocated to you by your local council or health authority. It puts you in control of buying and arranging your own support and care.

How much does live-in care cost?

Try our free online live-in care cost calculator to get a good idea of how much live-in care would cost.

Call us on 01305443115 to talk to us about how we can help you.