Chat with us, powered by LiveChat NHS funding - continuing healthcare | Agincare
Care enquiries 0800 0121 247 Careers 0800 2100 149 Mon - Fri 08:00 - 18:00

Search form

Delivering quality care for over 30 years

You are here

NHS funding - continuing healthcare

What is NHS Continuing Healthcare funding?

This is a complete package of ongoing care arranged and funded solely by the NHS for people outside hospital with ongoing health needs. Individuals who are eligible for NHS CHC receive the whole package (including social care) free, unlike help from social services for which a charge may be made depending on your income and savings.

Who might be eligible?

Anyone assessed as requiring a certain level of care need, can get NHS continuing health care. It is not dependent on a particular disease, diagnosis or condition, nor on who provides the care or where that care is provided. The circumstances can include: older people with chronic illness or disabilities, older people suffering from mental illness or dementia, people suffering from mental illness, physically disabled adults, children with chronic illness or disabilities, people with learning disabilities, people who are terminally ill. You can get continuing healthcare in any setting, including your own home or in a care home.

How much can it pay?

Continuing Healthcare funding is intended to cover the entire cost of care, as if the care was being provided in an NHS Hospital. It includes all medical care, nursing care, personal care, plus living and accommodation costs. NHS Continuing Healthcare - For more information contact your local Clinical Commissioning Group. Contact the NHS Direct on 111 and they will be able to give you the details of your local CCG. 

Social Services Support - what is it?

Local authorities provide financial assistance, advice and other forms of support to elderly, sick and disabled people who need help with their personal care. Your local Social Services can arrange and may pay or contribute towards the cost of your care, subject to an assessment to ascertain eligibility for services. Social Services cannot contribute to any nursing needs you may have.

Who might be eligible?

If you have savings or investments of less than £23,250 in England.

How much can it pay?

The simple answer is it varies. Social Services can also provide special equipment to make life easier like bathroom aids or ramps. For more information: Contact Social Services at your local County Council Office. 
Please note, we cannot accept any liability for the accuracy of the information above or clients' reliance on it.


(Mon-Fri 8am-6pm)
Care Assessment
Book a free home visit
Brochure Download
For further information
Careers in Care Start Your Future Now

"It's wonderful to be an important part of someone's life and make a real difference".

Jess from Nottingham

Care Assessment